Wednesday, November 9, 2011

The Violet Bubble

For 17 years I have had the privilege to escape into the Violet Bubble every few weeks and for a blissful weekend in the summer.  This is not some island paradise with fruity drinks and umbrella's. My Violet bubble is my girl time. Its the time I spend laughing, teaching, listening, and enjoying friends I see far too little because they live far to far away.

Where did the bubble begin?? 

Well in 1874 there were 5 progressive, daring and confident women who wanted something for themselves. As some of the few women who were permitted to obtain a college education they wanted it all and were not going to be stopped! Those five women founded Sigma Kappa. My Sigma Kappa, my violet bubble that today graces over 200 campus over many of our 50 states. To think 18-20 year old women had the foresight, determination and drive to create a sisterhood that spanned 137 years.

So for the last 17 years, about 1/2 my life, I have spent time in my violet bubble working with collegians, reconnecting with alumnae and making a small mark in the large picture.  The time is precious and few but allows me to do something that I have a passion for, that inspires me and drives me.

Why is it a bubble?

Its a special place only a few can enter. Its a place where when you are in it, nothing on the outside can interfere.. its my bubble!  Really though, shouldn't we all have something meaning full in our lives with people we connect with. While Sigma Kappa means more than I can explain, this is not about the Greek System. This is about passion, drive and determination. Follow your heart, lead with your mind, and take a chance. 5 women bucked the system and forever changed the collegiate experience for 250,00) women. Like those founders what are your goals, what are your passions? Let them drive you, come along for the ride, you never know just what may come ahead.

Happy Founders' Day to all my sisters, may we always be in our violet bubble living one heart one way!

No comments:

Post a Comment